INTRODUCING REDBREAST DREAM CASK PEDRO XIMÉNEZ EDITION
– New limited edition release offers a fresh take on the classic sherry flavour profile of Redbreast –
Redbreast Irish Whiskey, which is produced by Irish Distillers in Midleton Distillery, marks World Whisky Day 2019 with the launch of Redbreast Dream Cask Pedro Ximénez Edition. Available to purchase exclusively through the Redbreast online members’ club, The Birdhouse, the new Redbreast Dream Cask was created from a vatting of bourbon, Oloroso sherry and Pedro Ximénez sherry casks which has been re-casked and finished in a specially selected Pedro Ximénez cask – a first for Redbreast and Midleton Distillery.
Redbreast Dream Cask Pedro Ximénez Edition is a 20-year-old, single cask single pot still Irish whiskey created by Master Blender, Billy Leighton, in collaboration with Blender, Dave McCabe. The cask represents the coming together of four unique whiskey journeys spanning 20 to 33 years in age, including a rare Pedro Ximénez-matured Irish whiskey, which have been vatted together and married in the Pedro Ximénez butt to offer a unique interpretation of the signature sherry style of the Redbreast range.
The result is a luxuriously smooth and rich Irish whiskey with assertive spices and sweet, ripe fruit that slowly evolves into exotic fruits and berries, reminiscent of the classic Redbreast character. Bottled at 52.2% ABV, 924 bottles of Redbreast Dream Cask Pedro Ximénez Edition will be available through the Redbreast online private members’ club, The Birdhouse, from 3pm on 27th May at the RRP of €380.
Redbreast Dream Cask is made up of the following whiskeys, which represent a cross-section of single pot still distillate styles and maturation techniques:
- Cask 1 – a single pot still Irish whiskey distilled in 1998, matured in an ex-bourbon barrel and re-casked into a Pedro Ximénez sherry butt in 2012
- Cask 2 – a single pot still Irish whiskey distilled in 1995, matured in an ex-bourbon cask and re-casked into an Oloroso sherry butt in 2012
- Cask 3 – a single pot still Irish whiskey distilled in 1985 and matured in a second-fill ex-bourbon barrel
- Cask 4 – a single pot still Irish whiskey distilled in 1997 and matured in a second-fill ex-bourbon barrel
Billy Leighton, Redbreast Master Blender, commented on the launch: “Rather than try to seek out another extraordinary cask from the Midleton inventory like the inaugural Redbreast Dream Cask, we set out to create a new Redbreast Irish whiskey like you have never tasted before. The coming together of three exceptional casks, originally destined for Redbreast 21, and a rare Pedro Ximénez butt is a first for Midleton, and the careful balance of sweet, spice and sherry flavours offers a new and complex take on the classic Redbreast Christmas cake flavour profile – it’s sure to add an extra cheer to your World Whisky Day celebrations this year!”